Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Over All health, General Concern

Over All health, General Concern

Patient: I have not been feeling my self recently. My emotions are all over the place and I have been feel sick, anywhere from sneeze constantly to nausea. My appetite is my main concern though, I used to eat a lot more, more than I should to a little less which did not bother me, then it went down to barely anything and now i cannot eat anything. I feel sick if i smell food or look at it sometimes. I am very worried and so is my husband. What could be wrong with me?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We are very sorry you are feeling this way. Your recent loss of energy, varying severity in symptoms as well as drastic loss of appetite could be due to several causes. First of all, fluctuations in hormonal levels can cause this. For example, if you have decreases in thyroid hormone, you can experience such symptoms. Thyroid hormone is responsible for metabolic function and energy levels. Another possible cause is a condition known as anemia. Anemia is an overall decrease in red blood cells in your circulation which could be a result iron deficiency or another cause. We do not want to rule out any psychological causes for your loss of appetite and associated symptoms. We by no means want to patronize or offend you by stating this. However, depression can often present with these very symptoms that you are experiencing. We would like you to keep a close monitor on your emotions to see if this could be possible. We recommend that you visit your primary care physician or a physician in general internal medicine to conduct a complete physical and laboratory testing to determine what could be causing your symptoms. If you have any more information on your medical history, family history, if you smoke, drink alcohol, and current medications please provide us with this information in a follow up question to assist us in providing you with a list of probably diagnoses. We wish you the best and hope you feel better.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com