Over exertion and lumps on my sholder

Patient

Q: Last night i worked out for the first time in months, I folowed my brothers upper body rugby scheduel with lower weights. I maxed out and today when i got up this morning i had a painfull lump on my back right by my sholder. what is it and what can i do about it?

Doctor

A:   Delayed onset muscle soreness is very commonly seen after unaccustomed heavy work. This may be caused due to small microscopic tears in the muscle fibres after strenuous exercise. The best treatment option in your case would be to give rest to the muscle and avoid lifting weights. Non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication will also help to reduce the inflammation.