Overactive Sex Drive - Chasteberry?

Patient

Q: My boyfriend finds my sex drive too high and I'm considering taking chasteberry supplements to decrease it. I have PCSO, Prothrombin Gene Mutation and Factor V Leiden - is this safe for me and will it have the desired effect?
Thanks

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Chasteberry supplements are not indicated for overactive libido. In fact, they are commonly used for the treatment of the symptoms associated with premenstrual syndrome. Furthermore, you have PCOS, which can cause to you to have fluctuating hormone levels. Chasteberry supplements can have a side effects of exacerbating this affect. We do not recommend that you take this supplement. Lastly, as with any natural supplement that is not tested or approved by the Food and Drug Administration, we recommend that you exercise caution when using them. The efficacy and safety of this supplement can vary from brand to brand. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com