Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Overdosage of prescribed sertraline

Overdosage of prescribed sertraline

Patient: I cant stop taking over my prescribed dose of sertraline which is 100mg. As that dose is not working for me. What will happem of i take 300mg of sertraline?

Symptoms: N/a

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.sertraline can be taken upto a dosage of 200mg and its advisable not to go further. In case if 100 mg of sertraline is not working then it is advisable to switch to some other antidepressant like bupropion or venlafaxine or escitalopram which can show improvement. Switching of drugs is a common phenomenon in the treatment of depression and should be opted if the first monotherapy is not effective. Do meet your doctor and discuss the other options which I have mentioned.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!