Overdose

Patient : What treatments are available for someone who has overdosed on paracetamol when it is not possible to cannulate?
Doctor :   Paracetamol or Acetominophen might cause liver damage from a single overdose of 15 gms (30 tablets) although standard ho spital guidelines allow an extra safety margin and assume liver damage could occur at a single overdose of 24 standard tablets or 150 mg/kg body weight, whichever is the smaller. There is an antidote to paracetamol overdose called N-Acetylcysteine, given within 12 hours a complete recovery can be made. The antidote is often useful beyond 12 hours, showing benefit up to 48 hours after overdosing.