Overdose of progestrone vaginal capsule

Q: Hello,
I am 5wk+ pregnant and my fertility doc has prescribed me progestrone capsule 200mg 3 times a day to be taken vaginally. But according to my gynae, 200mg 2 times a day should be sufficient. Is overdose of progestrone harmful or can i continue taking 600mg daily as prescribed by my fertility expert?

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com

Considering that you have been treated for infertility and you are also hypothyroid at the same time , it is safe to continue 600mg of progesterones daily for the initial 3 weeks as this has been given to prevent any luteal phase defect and defective implantation thereafter for the embryo. It is a safe medication and is a support for pregnancy to continue. The dosage may be reduced after few weeks once the implantation has been effectively achieved and fetal growth is ascertained adequately. Progesterone support in cases of conception after fertility treatment may be continued to 14-18 weeks depending on protocols followed at different medical centres.

You may discuss the dosage with your physician before continuation and take an informed decision.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you safe pregnancy,