Overdue anestesia question

Patient

Q: Hello,

My name is Lauren, I am 27 years old and I have had an unanswered question for 8 years. 8 years ago I had surgery to remove a complex cyst from my ovary along with my gallbladder and fallopian tube. As I was being put to sleep I became completely paralyzed, unable to even blink and I began to severely wheeze. I started to panic, I didn't know if they had made a mistake and I was terrified. The nurse put an oxygen mask on me and the next thing I remember is waking up hours later after the surgery. I was put under eventually, but I have never heard of having to go through that terror prior to the sleep.

Why was I paralyzed and aware of everything that was going on? The recovery process was long and foggy so I didn't ever get a chance to ask while I was in the hospital, but it has haunted me ever since.

Doctor