Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Overuse of prevex hc on the face

Overuse of prevex hc on the face

Patient: What can I do to fix or reverse side effects on my face from overuse of prevex hc?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Prevex HC is the brand name for a topical hydrocortisone steroid cream. It is used to treat minor inflammation due to rashes, acne, sun exposure, or allergic reactions (dermatitis). Over use of this product or any topical corticosteroid can cause thinning of the skin, resulting in excessive redness, easy bruising and scars. There are a few things that you can do yourself to facilitate the healing process. First, we suggest that you minimize the exposure of the affected areas of your face to direct sunlight. Wear sunscreen of at least spf 30, and do not stay out in the Sun for greater than two hours. Furthermore, when cleaning your face, please refrain from using harsh cleansers, facial scrubs, or wash cloths which can abrade the affected areas of your face worsening its appearance. This will likely take about 4-8 weeks to resolve. If there are prominent red, or scarred areas, you may need to consult a dermatologist who will examine and provide you with some additional prescription treatments to assist in fading the scars. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your health question.