Overweight, high impact exercises and knee pain

Patient: Hello! I’m a 29 year old women who has lost 125 pounds and is still working on dropping 40 more. All my life I have had bad knees and about two months ago I started attending a class at my gym that consisted of an hour of jumping and squatting. I started to notice bruising around the knees but now I am enduring excruciating pain…..here are my symptoms: 1.bump on the right upper part of my shinbone 2.chronic pain throughout my leg 3.a strange pulling feeling on my shin 4.an electric shock on my knee cap when lifting my leg a certain way 5.my knee just doesn’t feel right inside, like if I tore something …. it feels very weak, especially when standing.

Doctor: It is a very well known fact that the sustained overweight and lack of exercise can cause problems in the weight bearing joints like Hips, Knees, Ankles and also Lumbar Spine, and if you add high impact exercises like jumping you are putting extra stress on your knees, and the other symptoms may correspond to a Chondromalacia patella or Patello femoral syndrome, which typically presents with pain behind the kneecap with flexion (bend knee) , is produced by an impairment affecting the patella and femur joint, in your case the overweight and overuse with high impact exercises produced excessive pressure or leverage forces on the patellofemoral joint surfaces. The suggested treatment strategy includes: strengthening and stretching the quadriceps, to restore the muscle balance around the knee joint, for this is indicated physical therapy for 6 to 8 weeks, using ice packs at the end of the exercise routine to decrease pain and swelling. You may use a soft knee brace that helps to control patella position and restrict full knee flexion which is also good to ease the pain. It is very important, avoid the activities or sports that require frequent squatting until the pain is under control.