Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ovulation, having lower abdominal pains

Ovulation, having lower abdominal pains

Patient: Hi, I’m on cd 12 and have been getting these sharp lower abdominal pains for the past 2 days, what could it be?

Symptoms: Sharp pains and cramping

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.As you are in the middle of the menstrual cycle, the pain you are having could be due to ovulation.Other possible causes are pelvic inflammatory disease, gastrointestinal disturbances etc.If the pain persists, better to take antispasmodic drugs to relieve the pain.If the pain continues even after taking drugs, better to consult your doctor once and get evaluated to find out the cause of the problem.Physical examination and ultrasound can help in finding out the possible cause of your problem and treatment can be planned accordingly.Hope this helps.Take care.