x
153 Physicians Online

Question:

Ovulation Tests and Birth Control

Hi, I have a question. In order to get pregnant, a woman must ovulate, and birth control suppresses ovulation, but is not always 100% effective. So I was wondering, if a woman is on birth control, can she use ovulation tests to ensure that the pill is working properly? By using this method, wouldn't it technically allow her to prevent pregnancy completely by alerting her to accidental ovulations?

Answer:

I understand your doubt about Ovulation test to confirm an ovulation during contraceptive treatment and yes technically this could be tried but is not considered the last word.
First of all, I agree with you that oral contraceptives are not 100% effective and I understand your wishes to confirm ovulation to prevent an unwanted pregnancy, however the ovulation test is also not 100% effective and could give you false negative results as well. You could try it, I don’t see any contraindication on that, but is not considered a double check method yet.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.