Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ovulation tests positive for one week

Ovulation tests positive for one week

Patient: Why are ovulation tests positive for a week,im not pregnant, ive had 2 miscarriages in the last year , my periods were always 27/28 cycle before last chemical pregnancy 3 months ago now periods are comming 9 or 10 days early. im 34 years old and already have 3 children but would like one more. Doctors did hormone test before i started using ovulation tests and they came back normal. Whats wrong with me?

Doctor: Ovulation is the most fertile time of your cycle and ovulation predictor kits are designed to let you know the window in which you would be most fertile. Ovulation tests work on the principle of detecting an increase in LH or luteinizing hormone levels in your urine. Although the LH hormone is always present in your urine and increases 24-48 hours prior to ovulation and remains high for a few days post ovulation and hence is detectable on the ovulation kit.The LH surge triggers ovulation, which is the release of an egg from one of your ovaries. It is recommended that the three days immediately after a positive test represent the best time to have intercourse and increase the probability of getting pregnant. However, you must bear in mind that as these kits are markers of a LH surge and not of ovulation, they may not accurately predict if ovulation has actually taken place. There have been instances of false LH surges as well.It would be prudent to seek the advice of a reproductive medicine specialist regarding the possibility of absent ovulation or other causes of being unable to conceive. Follicular monitoring using ultrasonography and ovulation stimulation medications maybe alternatives that you may want to discuss with the doctor. Hope you find this information reassuring. A delay in achieving your goals may not necessarily mean inability to do so. I would suggest you remain positive about the process. Hope you complete your family soon.