Ovulation while on Seasonique birth control

Patient

Q: I've been taking seasonique and I was wondering at what point does one ovulate when taking this form of birth control since you only have 4 periods. I'm just concerned about getting caught up in the moment and not being prepared.

Doctor

A:   Seasonique suppress ovulation to prevent conception. As long as you continue to take the pills regularly, you do not ovulate. The periods you get while on the pills is due to the withdrawal of external hormone supplement from the pills, which leads to bleeding without any prior ovulation. Thus you need not worry, unless you miss the pills or could not follow the guidelines to make up for the missed dose.