Pain after knee surgery

Patient

Q: I am eighteen years old and seven months ago had a tibial tuberol transfer, a lateral release and a medial ligament reconstruction. This was all to stop my knee from dislocating. Before hand I was into long distance running and now I am wanting to get back. I have been trying out cycling for the past month just gently to try to get some aerobic fitness back, just this week I went for a few very very short runs (like 50m) I noticed my knee getting sorer and sorer and now after a ten minute walk it is very painful to walk on. It doesn't really hurt to sit just to put pressure on. But this is really frustrating because I want to get back to excercise. Is this normal? How long will it last before I can excercise without stirring it up again and having to wait a week or so till it calms down? Thanks for your time.

Doctor

A:    In the view that you are a young and active teenager, at this point you may resume your running routine but progressively and avoiding those activities that could cause pain, swelling and/or discomfort. Every person is different and most likely the exercise routine should be customized for each one in particular and depending on the paricular conditions as in your case. There is a very well described entity in the medical literature called: Overuse Syndrome, which can affect any part of the body that is over stressed with movements or activities in a repetitive way, including occupational, recreational, and habitual activities. Repetition is part of the definition of overuse injury. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. So a daily healthy exercise routine besides the standard guidelines should be customized for each particular individual and specifically in your case the requirements have to be progressive. Remember, the pain is just letting you know that may be you are going beyond your own limits.