Pain & Swelling in the Elbow

Patient : My elbow is killing me just after simply playing catch, how do I know if I need Tommy John Surgery?
Symptoms:  Pain in elbow after just playing catch, swelling on inside of elbow, cant straighten arm fully, worse than usual
Doctor :   Thank you for writing to us. You should not directly think about surgery. I recommend that you try RICE therapy to he lp you first. Here are the parts of RICE: Rest the area to prevent the elbow from getting more injury Ice the elbow for 15 minutes at a time every hour Compress the elbow with an elbow sleeve or crepe bandage Elevate the elbow to allow blood flow back to the heart to reduce the swelling Take tablet Paracetamol to help reduce the swelling as well Hope this helps you. All the best.