Pain and Pressure in the Eustachian Tube of the Ear

Patient

Q: I am a 61 year old female. I developed shingles on the right side of my face, head and into my ear September 24, 2011 which now went into postherpetic neuralgia.
I also got an ear infection which is now now in the eustachian tube. Is there anything I can take or do to relief the pain and pressure in my ear, especially at night.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is important that you have your ear infection treated with antibiotics to clear the bacteria that is causing your infection. To treat the increased pressure within the inner ear and eustachian tube you can take some decongestant medication containing pseudoephedrine. This should help relieve this pressure as your infection is treated. This medication can cause drowsiness, so it is best taken before bed.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com