Pain at the waist line when coughing

Patient

Q: I have a pain just under my waistline on the left side everytime i cough , i am just wondering if it is a pulled muscle or possibly organ damage please let me know thanks

Doctor

A:   Most likely, if it is related to an effort (coughing), you have an abdominal muscle strain. Possibly you did an extreme movement that produced a muscle sprain in your left abdominal wall. A muscle strain is associated with the tearing or excessive stretching of the muscle and can be painful. All symptoms of muscle injury and muscle pain can range from mild to severe. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the injury. The conservative treatment consists of: initially, rest, ice can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Moist warm compresses can be applied locally, you may take anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. It is very important that you allow time to heal.