Pain during intercourse returned four weeks or so after first time sex

Patient

Q: Sorry if someone already asked this, I wasn't able to find anything that quite answered my questions. Here's the whole story: I just turned 20 at the beginning of last month. I also lost my virginity around the same time. I experienced a lot of pain the first time (kind of like someone had taken a cheese grater to the inside of my vagina), but after that I seemed to 'stretch' and everything was fine.

However, my boyfriend went away for ten days, and when he came back it hurt again. He's been back for two or three weeks now and it still hurts when he enters me (like I'm too tight). It's fine once he starts moving, the pain goes away, except occasionly it will feel like his penis is bumping or skipping over this cartilagenous ridge or ring like thing on the inside, which also hurts (especially doggy-style). Everytime we have sex again (even the same night), I feel like I've become un-stretched.

Is it just because he's big? I have little frame of reference, but he's 6 foot 2 so I assume it's average to large, and I'm only 5 foot 2... Will the pain go away eventually or will we just have to learn to work around it?

Doctor