Pain during pregnancy and heating pads

Patient

Q: My daughter is having pain on the right side, hand length down from side of breast. She is about 20-22 weeks pregnant. Is this something to be concerned about during pregnancy and is it ok to use a heating pad during pregnancy? She is 19 years old.

Symptoms:  Sharp, pretty constant pain on right side, hand length down from breast during pregnancy
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for the query
. Any kind of pain or discomfort during pregnancy has to be investigated. She needs to consult a doctor and rule out causes of gallstones, gastritis, pregnancy induced hypertension, etc. The doctor may advise for an ultrasound as well.It is better to go in for an examination at the earliest. Hot fomentation may help, but it will only provide temporary relief. In case of the cause being any of the above she needs specific management with medications
Hope this helped