x
68 Physicians Online

Question:

Pain four weeks after arthroscopy and knee surgery

I had artroscopy and open knee surgery to remove 2 pieces of loose bone in the knee (broke of during a fall on the knee). He could not get the piece of bone true artroscopy so had to cut open and cut true ligaments too. The surgery is 4 weeks ago. On 2 and half weeks after surgery my one crutch slipped and I had to put all weight on my bad leg so I wouldn't fall, it was a hard blow on the knee and instant pain. I saw the doc a few day because i had more pain and he took an x ray (everything looked fine) and send me home with anti inflammatory pills. He also mentioned he could only remove 1 piece of bone as he could not find the other piece!! Now a week later the knee is very stiff and sore, still swollen while the leg is elevated 85% of the day, I still walk with 2 crutches and the exercises are sore while doing them. Is this normal? Can it be the piece of bone who is left that is giving me trouble or is this still inflammation from the blow on it? Or something else? I am really worried about the pain and progress, I should go back to work in 2 weeks time.

Answer:

I do understand your concern due to the pain in the knee after the surgery. Though the pain could be due the weight that you accidental put on the affected leg, it is essential to rule out infection or collection of blood in the joints. If you experience fever, chills, persistent or increased pain and swelling of the joint, I would advise you to see your surgeon right away.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.