Pain in a Teenager's Hip: May be Growing Pains?

Patient

Q: Hi, I have been having pains in my hip and knee joints. At one point, my hip was hurting so bad I had to walk on my tip toes to ease the pain. The pain is usually in left leg but occasionally its both. It has been going on for a while now and usually it would pop up once a month or two but lately its been getting worse and popping up several times a week. Its not all the time it just starts and lately its been worse and worse. The pain kind of throbs and when it comes I usually limp or walk differently it feels like something is out of place I guess.. It can last from a couple hours to a couple days. I don't know if anything in specific triggers it because its very spontaneous and there's no specific pattern I recognize.But I have cheered August-November 2009 was constantly tumbling but I haven't had an injury that I can think of that could have triggered this. My parents write it off as growing pains but do you have any suggests of what it could be and should I see a doctor? Could it be something serious? I really need answers.

Doctor

A:   It is not uncommon that some teenagers present at some point of their lives with pain in the hips and knees that comes and goes with no specific pattern, these episodes tend to disappear with the growing process, but if the pain becomes more intense and constant, making difficult the daily living activities, it is strongly recommend to seek evaluation by an Orthopedic Surgeon or a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon to rule out other causes like: overuse injuries, synovial inflammation , other problems with the head of the femoral bone.
Once the other causes of pain have been rule out then, growing pains or pain associated with intense physical activity (as cheer, in your case) will be most likely the diagnosis.