Pain in Belly Button

Patient

Q: I had a sharp pain in my belly button on the day before yesterday. Next day, I saw some yellow discharge from the belly button so I washed it with warm salt water. This reduced the pain considerably, but now I can see some bit of blood coming out. What should I do?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. This could possibly be a skin abscess in your umbilical region. The yellow discharge is indicative of the production of pus which leads us to believe that you have developed an infection in this area. We recommend that you go to your doctor to have it examined in person and determine whether you need to have it drained or treated with antibiotics. Once treated, it should resolve without complication.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com