Pain in both knees for over 8 years and missing cartilage

Q: Over the last 8 years I have had really bad knee pains and am missing lots of cartilage in my knee. What would be the best way to have this fixed without having to go in for knee replacement surgery?

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

You are having osteoarthritic of knee joint and having pain for 8 years in your knees. Best way without knee replacement surgery is taking glucosamine which to some extent repair the degenerative changes to some extent and prevent further damage. Quadriceps exercises are helpful. Analgesic such as ibuprofen is helpful in pain relief.If not relieved by this then strong analgesic such as tramadol can be taken after prescription from your doctor as it is a prescription medicine. Vitamin D supplements ( if it is low) is of help. Vitamin and trace elements supplements along with calcium supplements are of help. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.