Pain in knee after hard impact

Q: Hello Doctor! Yesterday at soccer practice I accidentally ran into a bench at full speed, and hit y kneecap on a corner. It hurt at first but I continued play on and had full mobility. Two hours after practice the pain began to grown and I could no longer bend or completely straighten my leg without my knee hurting. This morning I was awoken by a sharp pain in my knee and it popped an hour ago while moving around my house. Is it something bad and should I get it checked out?

Symptoms:  Pain in knee, can't bend or straighten knee, area is warm to the touch

A:   Thank you for your question. We believe that you could have possible sustained an injury to your patella or a surrounding structure of you knee joint such as one of the ligaments. The swelling and immobility is due to the inflammation due to this trauma. It is possible that the knee cap could have been fractured. In order to be certain that this injury is not severe, we recommend that you have your doctor examine it, and perform any necessary diagnostic testing to elucidate the severity of this injury. In the meantime, we recommend that you apply ice to the knee to reduce the swelling. Furthermore, elevation and resting the knee will further assist in reducing the swelling and pain. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing