Pain in left lower back and buttocks.

Q: Hi i have pain in my left lower back and buttocks down to my left ankle. The pain is more serve in my hip area and ankle. The pain came on 10 mins after i had put my dog on his bed which i have to bend over to do. What could it be?

A:   Thank you for you question.
It is possible that you have developed a condition called sciatica. The sciatic nerve is a large nerve which originates in the lower back and innervates the hips, and legs. If there is a problem in the lower back the sciatic nerve can be irritated lead to inflammation and pain leading to severe pain in the lower extremities. This needs to be evaluated your doctor in order to determine what is the cause of this pain. We recommend you refrain from heavy lifting and strenuous physical activity, and have a thorough evaluation by your doctor. If diagnosed with sciatica you will need to be treated with pain medication and physiotherapy to alleviate these symptoms. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting