Pain in my left leg

Q: Hello Doctor, I have had pain in my left knee for a while now. The pain has now gone to the back of my leg down my calf and ends in the back of my ankle & often happens when I sit for long or even short periods of time. I am afraid of a blood clot. I have no other medical issues except that I am over weight about 40lbs. I am under going a small surgical procedure & I just want to make sure that I can go under Anastassia. Is there a test that can be done to make sure that I do not have any blood clots or do you recommended some other test. I'm not sure if I should be worried about or not. any advise would be appreciated...Thank you

A:   Yes, there are tests that can be done in order to determine vascular problems in the legs, but first of all if you are undergoing a surgical procedure you should tell your doctor what you are feeling, if you are taking contraceptive pills, if you are a smoker or if you have family history of blood clots,  because you might need a more comprehensive cardiovascular evaluation.