Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pain in outer region of left knee

Pain in outer region of left knee

Patient: Help! I have re injured my already injured knee by tripping up the stairs. A few months back I jumped down three feet onto a dock and injured what doctors are calling my LCL. I am supposed to go to on vacation tomorrow but my knee hurts when I am sitting down or standing up. Should I go get accesed by a real doctor again today or should I get crutches? I am currently wearing a brace.

Symptoms: Sharp pain in outer region of left knee when standing up or sitting down, swelling, tenderness of affected area.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.It seems you have got Ligament Injury of your knee joints. This can be due to Anterio r Cruciate or Posterior Cruciate ligament injury.You would require MRI of the Knee.Yes you should see a real doctor.Also you should use crutches or support to walk till the diagnosis is confirmed.The treatment of Ligament Injury would be by Arthroscopic surgery.I hope it helps.