Pain in outer region of left knee

Patient : Help! I have re injured my already injured knee by tripping up the stairs. A few months back I jumped down three feet onto a dock and injured what doctors are calling my LCL. I am supposed to go to on vacation tomorrow but my knee hurts when I am sitting down or standing up. Should I go get accesed by a real doctor again today or should I get crutches? I am currently wearing a brace.
Symptoms:  Sharp pain in outer region of left knee when standing up or sitting down, swelling, tenderness of affected area.
Doctor :   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. It seems you have got Ligament Injury of your knee joints. This can be due to Anterio r Cruciate or Posterior Cruciate ligament injury. You would require MRI of the Knee. Yes you should see a real doctor. Also you should use crutches or support to walk till the diagnosis is confirmed. The treatment of Ligament Injury would be by Arthroscopic surgery. I hope it helps.

Related Q&A

Q: My name is Carlton Jackson. My date of birth is April 3, 1955. In the spring of 1973 I hyperextended my left knee w...

Q: I ama 68 year old female who has been very active. Have not been exercising during last month due to cataract surger...

Q: My daughter was playing volleyball and dove/slide in for the ball. She said it hurt her right knee. But she was outsi...

Q: My knee is severely swollen (size of a grapefruit). I had an xray which was normal. It hurts a ton on the inside of m...

Q: When i went up the stairs i got knee pain as if its twisting on the inside. INtense pain for at least 5 minutes cant ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon