Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pain in shoulder when running.

Pain in shoulder when running.

Patient: So as long as I can remember I get a pain in my right shoulder when I go out jogging. Usually I quite running during the Winter, then start back up again in the Spring. At first my shoulder will hurt less than fifteen minutes into the run, but after a few runs it will start to hurt later and later. Eventually it won’t hurt at all! What could this be??

Doctor: There are several causes of arm-shoulder pain; one of the most common is the Rotator Cuff tendinitis and/or Impingement t  and this seems to correspond with the description that you made of your pain. The rotator cuff is a group of tendons that support the shoulder. These tendons can be injured during weight lifting, when playing sports with a lot of throwing, after repetitive use over a long time or suffer degenerative changes with the aging process. The pain while you are running might be due to a inadequate arm-shoulder position that may be causing a  mechanical impingement of the rotator cuff tendon beneath the anteroinferior portion of the acromion (one of the bones of the shoulder joint), causing changes in the distal part of the rotator cuff tendon, which is at risk due to poor blood supply. Conservative treatment of the Rotator Cuff tendonitis involves: physical therapy to control pain and keep range of motion of the shoulder, avoidance of painful movements and activities; anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Advil”, “Aleve).