Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pain in Tailbone when Pressured

Pain in Tailbone when Pressured

Patient: I have pain in my tailbone. It doesn’t hurt to sit on it unless the surface of what i am sitting on is hard. I can do an ab workout but there is definite pain when doing so. I had looked into it and a pilonidal cyst was something that came up, and upon feeling the tailbone region there is a movable lump seemingly right on the tailbone. There is no pimple or bump on the surface of the skin however. I had recently done an ab workout on a hard surface before the pain had started.

Symptoms: Tailbone pain

Doctor: Pain not resolving with time or over the counter medications needs to be investigated.Pain in that area can often be caused by a simple strain or contusion which resolves with time. If you develop fevers, abdominal pain, react bleeding, spreading of the pain beyond the lower back…. you should be seen sooner rather than later.