September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pain in the back/outer side of the knee

Pain in the back/outer side of the knee

Patient: I used to play regular basketball at the varsity level until 2 years ago along with short term hiking (one/two day hikes) during the year. Have noticed incessant pain concentrated in the back and outer side of my left knee (used to take off during jumping) over the years. I do not remember any specific contact/fall causing the injury as such.Physical activity of any kind (running/hiking/basketball) seems to aggravate the pain although knee braces do provide a little support.Please advise on the cause & possible options for alleviation.Thanks!

Symptoms: Knee pain

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You seem to be have developed acute knee sprain but you should r ule out any knee ligament injury. In such scenario, if the knee joint movement is fine, then we initially give 5 days conservative treatment and if there is no response, then we investigate.So, you should do cold ice fomentation of the knee and apply Diclofenac ointment locally. In case of severe pain, you can take Pain killers like Diclofenac if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for its use. Avoid sitting in squatting position and climbing stairs.If you don’t get any relief after even 5 days of therapy, then you would require to get MRI of your knee joint done, to rule out any ligament injury.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.