Pain in the Knee after Excessive Bending, Standing, or Movement

Patient

Q: Okay, well I am 14 years old and when I stand, run, crouch, or do anything for a long period of time or in an excessive matter, I experience sharp, achy pains the right side of my right knee. What could be wrong with me?

Doctor

A:   If in case you havent sustained any injury to the knee it could be a case of patellofemoral syndrome which occurs when the tendon/muscle ie the quadriceps is stretched typically during movement. However this is typical for over use injury ie occuring in young athlectic people  and usually  the pain is on the front surface of the knee. In your case it could also be invovlvement of the lateral meniscus ( ie the part present on the right side of the knee) . I would suggest you to take an screening xray of the knee along with an ultrasound so that we can see what is going on exactly. In the mean time you could use  some NSAID's medicaation and also try some physiotherapy for the affected knee.All the best.