x
71 Physicians Online

Question:

Pain in the left side of chest

Good day, I have for year now been strugling with pains in my chest which is related to GAS (I assume) I can feel it ease up sometime when I pass gas or when I move and kind of force the gas to release. I also get the tingling sensation in my arm and fingers on the left hand side. Although I have had this for about 2 - 3 years I still have a fright sometimes as it is so bad and really feels like I am having a heart attack. This morning I woke up from pain, i could not lie on my side as the pain was to severe. If i breathed out it would hurt the most, also when I would turn my body or lift my arm it would feel like I was getting a spasm. It is now a few hours since I have woken up and i still have the pain, not as bad when I sit but worse when I stand up. First time that I am feeling it like this, I fell like I wanna burp but like its blocked and nothing is happening. Please advise if you have any suggestions what this might be. I am 29 and live a very healthy lifestyle.

Answer:

It could be gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD), which is capable of producing the symptoms similar to an heart attack, including severe spasms and radiation to the left hand. Another reason could be a sliding hiatal hernia, that usually does not produce symptoms except heart burn, but in case it gets obstructed etc. You may want to consult a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis with your symptoms and relevant investigations and treatment. You may try taking antacids like zantac, prilosec, gaviscon, gas-x, peptobismol etc. for relief.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.