Pain in the leg for the last three years

Q: I have had leg pain for the last three years and doctors are yet to figure out what it is that is wrong. When I walk for a very short period of time my legs start to hurt alot and I need to stop and relax for a few minutes and then I can try and continue again. Sometimes sitting causes them to become numb and someitmes lying down in bed causes numbness in my lower legs. Is there anything that you could possible think that this could be. I am at my wits end.

A:   There are many causes of non-traumatic leg pain. Pain in the legs or arms can be present because of several conditions that may affect joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, skin or nerves. So as you see there is a vast array of diseases that can be causing the symptoms that you described. If you can relate those pains with a physical stress that you might have done, give it a try with anti inflammatory medication for one week (Advil, Motrin). If the symptoms persist after that, then I strongly recommend you to go to your doctor and get a clinical and lab evaluation to rule out some serious conditions and determine the best treatment option for you.