Pain in the lower back, experiencing difficulty moving

Q: Active male 60 years old, 5' 6" 148 lbs (now 139) fitness instructor.
Hello, I am experiencing pain in the lower back, it started about 6 weeks ago with major stiffness across the lower back, (note I am a road cyclist) after seeking massage, physio and the Dr. the stiffness is gone, I was given nyproxin and flexorall, this eliminated the inflammation, I was also experiencing severe muscle spasms in the glut and hamstring, mostly the left side. The muscle spasms have subsided. After back x-ray it is determined that I have degenerated disc in my lower back. Now depending on how i sit or stand or move i get a sharp stabbing pain in my lower back and have difficulty standing upright at times. It is painful getting in/out of the car, walking, sitting, sleeping etc. The pain is not constant, but it depends on how I move. I mainly move slowly, walking is slow as I walk a shorter stride, due to pain. I cannot run, although I am able to ride the bike but not along ride, but I experience more pain hours after a short ride, 30-60 minutes.
What could be the issue here, prior to this, I would workout 5+ days a week, since I have lost muscle mass and weight

Symptoms:  I try to avoid sneezing or coughing because pain shoots down the glut and down the left leg.
It almost feels like something is shifting in my lower back.