Pain in the shoulder getting worse doing sports or lifting weights

Patient

Q: I have bad shoulder pain in my right shoulder my left one is not as bad. I cant do sports or lift weights cause it makes it worse. The pain I my hole shoulder and the top and in the tip of the shoulder blade.

Doctor

A:    There are many causes of shoulder-arm pain as you described it, the most common in all age groups are the lesions of the rotator cuff, they represent a wide array of diseases, from acute reversible tendinitis, passing by impingement of the tendon for the surrounding bone structures, to massive tears involving the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and subscapularis, these are the 3 muscles of the rotator cuff. The diagnosis is often made through detailed history and physical examination, and it might be confirmed by imaging studies. The suggested treatment strategy includes: in the acute phase, pain control and inflammation reduction are initially required to allow progression of healing and initiation of an active rehabilitation program. This can be accomplished with a combination of relative rest, icing (20 min, 3-4 times per day), and anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”). It has proven to be helpful sleep with a pillow between the trunk and arm to decrease tension on the supraspinatus tendon and to prevent blood flow compromise in its watershed region. You should continue the pain control techniques at home, work, or vacation as part of the exercise program. The home exercise program builds on itself through each phase of the rehabilitation process, and carry-over should be monitored. Try to avoid the movements that reproduce the pain so it allows time to heal.