Pain in top centre chest. Started from running.

Patient: Hello. About 3 years ago when I was in school I was in the gym exercising. I happened to be using the running machine and I was running for about 5 or 10 minutes then as I stopped I got a few seconds of quite a bit of pain on the top centre of my chest. All I could do was stand there for a few seconds and wait for the pain to diminish.Since then, I get the pain usually when I sneeze or sometimes it can be randomly when I’m doing a random motion with my body like leaning to get something. I did go to the doctor and they mentioned something about a bone but they didn’t really know themselves what it could actually be and told me not to worry about it. I’m not worried but I am just curious to what the pain is and if there is a way to permanently get rid of it. Thanks!


Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.I have following diagnosis for you:1. Muscular Pain wi th.2. Cardiac Chest pain.3. Acid reflux.It is important to differentiate between the all as the treatment course is entirely different.The Muscular chest pain aggravates with movement. It is dull, diffuse and continuous in nature.However, the Cardiac chest pain is severe and crushing in nature. It increases on activity like walking, exercising. It also radiated to left arm.In such scenario, i would advise to get an ECG and Chest Xray done. This will give an idea that pain is cardiac in nature or not.If the ECG and Chest Xray are normal, the pain is probably Muscular or due to Acid reflux.For acid reflux, i would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once a day.I advise following to my patients in case of Muscular pain:1. To do hot fomentation over the involved area 3-4 times a day.2. To apply Diclofenac Gel locally over the involved area.3. To take anti inflammatory and analgesic pain killer like Ibuprofen , Etoricoxib.On taking this treatment, this usually resolves in 5-7 days.Share my opinion with your doctor. I am sure he/she will agree to this.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts