Pain left side years after extensive back and lung surgery crush injury

Patient

Q: I was crushed by a tree 3 days after Hurricane Ike. The neurologist and thorasic surgeon were wonderful. Although prior to surgery they told me I may never walk again I have done 3 triathlons since. There were 6 broken vertebrae, one shattered, all ribs on left side broken and detached from spine, collasped lung, broken shoulder. Rib was removed and cage used with crushed bone to repair the worst vertebrae. Titaniium rods and screws on both sides of spine, Injury was middle spine, 3 years later odd left side pain, muscle spasms and swelling, Cat Scan, MRI, no results. Muscle relaxers help.. I have sharp knife like pains where rib was removed.and under left lung and left intestine. Just got over a bout of pneumonia but the pain has been there for a year. Please let me know if there is anything or anyone out there that can explain this. I can actually feel my intestines moving and it swells on left side constantly. GI tests are ok. New symptom, 7 to 8 lbs of fluid loss and gain daily without frequent urination.

Doctor