Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pain on Big Toe: Common Causes

Pain on Big Toe: Common Causes

Patient: Hi, My name is Megan I’m 13 years old and I’m trying to get to sleep but I can’t because of my throbbing big toe. It’s been hurting for three hours now and I can’t get rid of the pain I haven’t stubbed it or anything like that and I don’t think it’s an ingrown toenail because I have checked the symptoms and nothing. Please please help me 🙂

Doctor: It is possible that it is an early ingrown nail. Ingrown toenail usually causes pain, pus may not be seen especially whe n it is early. Other causes of pain on the big toe could be collected dirt under the nail or corns and calluses. For the pain, you may try over-the-counter analgesics (Advil) as it may help but make sure you are not allergic to these drugs. If the pain won’t subside, have it checked by a doctor to prevent infection of the toe nail.