Pain on Big Toe: Common Causes

Q: Hi, My name is Megan I'm 13 years old and I'm trying to get to sleep but I can't because of my throbbing big toe. It's been hurting for three hours now and I can't get rid of the pain I haven't stubbed it or anything like that and I don't think it's an ingrown toenail because I have checked the symptoms and nothing. Please please help me :)

A:   It is possible that it is an early ingrown nail. Ingrown toenail usually causes pain, pus may not be seen especially when it is early. Other causes of pain on the big toe could be collected dirt under the nail or corns and calluses. For the pain, you may try over-the-counter analgesics (Advil) as it may help but make sure you are not allergic to these drugs. If the pain won’t subside, have it checked by a doctor to prevent infection of the toe nail.