x
61 Physicians Online

Question:

Pain on right side of abdomen during menstruation

For the past 3 0r 4 months i have realised that i get this intense pain on the right side of my lower abdomen during my menstrual period. i had a scan done and they said nothing was wrong. could it be a symptom of a serious illness

Answer:

The pain that you are experiencing during menstruation is called dysmenorrhea. It is most probably caused by excessive levels of prostaglandins and hormones that make your uterus contract during menstruation. The pain is experienced when there is release of an egg from the ovary and progressively increases as there is shedding of the endometrial lining in the uterus.
Primary dysmenorrhea is usually treated by medication such as an analgesic medication. Many women find relief with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin). Oral contraceptives also may also help reduce the severity of the symptoms. Though most of the time the cause of dysmenorrhea is not found, I would advise you to see your doctor to rule out endometriosis, adenomyosis, ovarian cyst, uterine polyps and adhesion that may cause similar pain.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.