Pain on the top of the foot over the last two weeks

Patient

Q: I did not find a question under your section. I have a question about my foot. Over the last two weeks my left foot feels very painful on the top and the pain seems to be coming from the middle of my bones on top. It is very hard to walk on it, what could be causing this?Everyday it feels worse. Kristina

Doctor

A:   In your case, with a previous history of Diabetes and in the absence of a trauma antecedent, it is possible that you might be experiencing a Diabetic neuropathy. Neuropathies are the most common complication of diabetes mellitus (DM). Neuropathies related to DM affect up to 50% of diabetic patients. The nerves and muscles in the diabetic patient are affected because the high levels of glucose circulating in blood, that’s why it is very important to keep a strict control of glycemia at all times. The loss in muscle mass is due to the problems in the nerves that control the muscles and it is called Diabetic amyotrophy which affects the muscles of upper and lower extremities and leads to muscle atrophy and weakness. I suggest that you discuss this possibility with your doctor so he can prescribe you any of the medications available to treat diabetic neuropathy.