x
72 Physicians Online

Question:

Pain on top of both feet

Top of left foot statred hurting about a month ago, now both feet hurt on top. Had yearly physical 3 months ago, blood sugar was good and BP ok Do not think it is gout,a s it does not have the classic symtoms. What could it be?

Answer:

One of the most common causes of pain in the top of the foot is inflamed extensor tendons on top of the foot secondary to irritation from shoes or laces which have been tied too firmly. An easy way to relieve this type of pain in the top of the foot is to loosen the laces or simply avoid wearing the shoes that are causing the trauma on top of the foot. If this fails to help then you may need to lace the shoe up just slightly differently in an effort to alleviate some of the pressure on the tendons or bones on top of the foot. Other common causes of pain in the top of the foot are: navicular subluxation (this is easily relieved through joint mobilization or manipulation by a Podiatrist trained in foot mobilization), osteoarthritis, nerve or blood vessel damage and inflammation of soft tissue structures.Bone damage, as for example stress fractures, should also be ruled out via specific x-rays and scans. As we age, many parts of our body begin to weaken, especially our feet. Using your feet excessively throughout your life can lead to pain on the top of the foot when you are older. If you are experiencing pain on top of your foot, you should consider seeing your doctor as soon as possible. Pain in this location is not normal, and usually indicates a more serious problem. Catching conditions and injuries such as stress fractures in their early stages is vital to successful treatment. Diagnosing problems within the complex structure of the foot is difficult enough, but if a condition or injury is left untreated, it can develop into a more serious problem and could require more extensive treatment.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Comments

Guest Says: thank you, I will go to the foot doctor. you have relieved my concern for now. again I thank you

Sign In to join in the conversation.