Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pain post anal sex

Pain post anal sex

Patient: This is kind of embarrassing, but here goes.. Last night my boyfriend of 4 years [& the father of my son] performed anal sex on me. It felt great at the time and didn’t really hurt right after, but this morning when I woke up it was pretty painful. I have hemorrhoids, too, and now they are like “hanging out” of my anus. Should I be worried? It just hurts on the outside.. like the opening, probably from being stretched out I’m assuming? But I’m not sure if this is normal or if I should be worried and go see a doctor. I told him and he kind of chuckled[gr, not funny!] and told me it would be alright, but I just want to make sure! Also, I’m not worried about an STD or anything and am mostly aware of the risk factors of this kind of sex, just not ALL of them obviously or I wouldn’t be worried & asking this question!!

Doctor: The pain around your anus could be related to: stretching of the external or internal anal sphincter muscle; pressure or friction against the sphincter muscles, trauma to haemorrhoids, and anal fissures or tears. I would advise avoiding further intercourse to allow the anus to heal and inflammation in this area to resolve. Remember to always use a condom and practice safe sex to avoid the risk of HIV and other STD’s, pain may be reduced by proper lubrication. If the pain is not improving within a few days I would advise attending your family doctor for an examination and further guidance.