Pain Relief for Track and Field Sports?

Patient

Q: I'm on the track and field team. What is the best medicine to take for the aches and pains i get?

Doctor

A:   Aches and pains are very common in Track & Field and are often the result of a workout.  The most common symptoms are soreness in the shins, calves, and thighs.  A proper warm up and cool down, as well as good hydration, nutrition, and sleep will help minimize these aches and pains. Ice application is the best initial therapy to control aches and pains. Rest and elevation of the legs above the heart level would help reduce soreness. You can also use oral pain relievers or topical sprays and rubs that can help you with pain relief but should not be used as long term pain relief plan. Gentle stretching and strengthening exercise of the toes may also help.

Aches and pains are very common in Track & Field and are often the result of a workout.  The most common symptoms are soreness in the shins, calves, and thighs.  A proper warm up and cool down, as well as good hydration, nutrition, and sleep will help minimize these aches and pains. Ice application is the best initial therapy to control aches and pains. Rest and elevation of the legs above the heart level would help reduce soreness. You can also use oral pain relievers or topical sprays and rubs that can help you with pain relief but should not be used as long term pain relief plan. Gentle stretching and strengthening exercise of the toes may also help.