Pain relief in knee causing relief in prostate problem due to Etoshine tablet

Patient

Q: Can a tablet 'Etoshine'(Etoricoxib Fst Disintearating tablet) referred by my doctor for knee pain help in pain in storage of urine and in passing urine due to increase in prostate?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Etoricoxib is an anti-inflammatory pain medication of the selective COX-2 inhibitor class. It is indicated for the treatment of inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout. Since this drug acts throughout the body, it can assist in treating the pain associated with an enlarged prostate. However, this medication cannot decrease the size, or treat specific conditions related to the prostate gland.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your medical question.