Pain When Icing My Knee

Q: I was recently diagnosed with patellofemoral chondromalacia and was told if my knee was sore that i should ice it. the only problem is that when i ice it the pain gets dramatically worse. each step i take is excruciating pain. i try to step lightly but it still hurts extremely bad. what's wrong with me?

A:    First of all, make sure that you are not using the ice directly on top of the knee skin, you have to wrap it in a towel and do not use it for more than 20 minutes each time, also there are persons who do not tolerate quite good the “icing”, and for those individuals, it is advised to try local moist heat, hot moist packs, wrapped in a towel, never in direct contact to the skin, and no more than 20 minute periods each time.