Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pain while urinate UTI or STD?

Pain while urinate UTI or STD?

Patient: I had anal sex with a girl and the next day I had a burning sensation when I urinate. Now a week later I still have a surfing sensation and lower abdominal discomfort. Do I have a uti or an std? I started taking cranberry pills 2 days ago and my symptoms have improved slightly but not 100%

Symptoms: Burning sensation while urination, pain/ pressure lower abdomin, no discharge from penis

Doctor: Hello,If you have had anal sex , then it is likely that as the anal flora is full of micro-organisms , that you may h ave contracted a urinary tract infection of a STI. The symptoms of burning sensation while urination indicate a UTI with lower abdominal and backache. The symptoms are usually improved with alkalinization of urine which the cranberry pills do effectively. But it is important to visit a physician for a urine and urethral swab culture and sensitivity test to isolate the causative organism ( could be E.coli or chlamydia/gonorrhea,ureaplasma ureolyticum), based on which the necessary antibiotics can be started to direct the treatment accordingly and the course usually lasts for a week . In the meantime along with cranberry pills its necessary to drink 5-6 liters of water per day to flush out the infection sooner.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards