Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Painful Ovarian Cyst

Painful Ovarian Cyst

Patient: I just had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst about a week ago but my severe pain is getting worst and worst by the minute. I can’t stay on narcotic medications but I can’t bear the pain, what do I do and what could be wrong??

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually after undergoing abdominal surgery, it may take aroun d two to three weeks for complete healing of inner and outer wounds.But usually after one week of surgery, the postoperative pain will decrease gradually.As you are having severe pain even after one week the possible causes may be postoperative infection or secondary hemorrhage etc.As the the severity of pain is increasing, better to consult your physician or visit ER.By physical examination and ultrasound the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated accordingly.Take care.