Painful popping in front of groin from several years.

Q: Hi, my groin has been painfully popping for several years now. I was told I might have a labral tear. What are the success rates for the relevant kind of surgery? Thanks!

Symptoms:  Groin popping, very painful.

A:   Hi,

Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

A Labral Tear is a tear in the ring of Labral cartilage. The Labral cartilage covers the socket of the hip-joint.

Symptoms of a Labral tear are:
1. A clicking sound in the hip-joint
2. Decreased mobility of the hip
3. Pain in the hip-joint

A Labral tear usually occurs in athletes due to injury to the hip.

Treatment of a Labral tear can involve:
- Treatment with NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Naproxen
- Physiotherapy or massage to reduce the swelling
- Arthriscopic surgery via small incisions to speed up recovery

Chance of success of surgery depends on a case to case basis. However, if follow-up is proper and the patient does not rush to get back to sport, the recovery will usually be complete.