Painful pressure urination with hives

Patient

Q: "I have pain at the very end of urination. It's very different from normal UTI pain. It does not sting, but feels more internal. I also am experiencing pressure and discomfort in my rectal area. I have also had severe hives for the last 5-6 weeks."

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. These symptoms may be indicative of a bladder and kidney infection. Sometimes urinary tract infections get into the bladder and migrate up the ureters into the kidneys causing pyelonephritis (kidney infection). It is important that you promptly have this examined in order to determine what is the cause and how it can be treated. The longer you wait to seek medical attention the more severe this condition can be come and the greater the risk for permanent kidney damage is.