Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Painful retractable testicle in toddler

Painful retractable testicle in toddler

Patient: Greetings Dr. My son is almost 3 years old and he has what presents like a retractable testicle(s). The left testicles periodically (but has recently become much more frequent) goes up into his groin area. When this happens, he complains of pain and can barely walk, we usually calm him down and it descends itself. On one occasion, we had to go to ER because the testicle would not come down – they had to give him codeine for the pain. It is now happening more frequently and he is now peeing his pants every time the testicle retracts up (we think it is related as he has been potty trained for 8 months). We had an ultrasound on his scrotum and it came clear – it did show some extra fluid but not out of the ordinary. We are at a lost as our Pediatrician has ruled out a retractable testicle because he is in pain when it happens. His mood and demeanor seem to be correlated with the increased frequency of these occurrences. Any feedback – have you ever heard of something like this before? Should we get an ultrasound on his abdomen (he does complain of pain in his ‘belly’). Kind Regards.

Doctor: Your son clearly has a retractile testicle. Retractile testicles are more prone to testicular torsion, which is a very p ainful condition. I suspect that this is the reason for your son’s pain. He needs to see a urologist or pediatric surgeon so that the testicle can be ‘fixed’ in place in the scrotum. This simple procedure will eliminate all his current issues.